This is the post excerpt.
This my blog enjoy stay awhile. I will be as entertaining as possible with stories and pictures in the blog section and videos under the other stuff section. Mostly I will chronicle my adventures to becoming a hiker as a sidebar to trail running. Hopefully I will have a before and after weight lose story also.
Miscellaneous Hiking Post with a List
In this post there is a 15 before 50 list, I am happy to write I am done with almost half of what I listed. I am surprised that I have done as many as I have done. I focused more on trail running than hiking the last two years but still do some hiking in between races. I am not going to change my list but will recap my progress.
4. I hiked to the summit of Elk Mountain on my father’s birthday.
5. I actually hiked to the summit of Pinnacle Mountain twice and the second time was a great solo hike.
7. I had an amazing hike to Cedar Falls in Petit Jean SP. The waterfall was everything I had hoped to see.
8. Canyon Loop Trail in Caprock Canyon SP was awesome and dangerous due to the quick temperature rise.
9. I am counting hiking the Lighthouse Trail in Palo Duro SP even though it was cut off. I hiked all of it that was open.
14. I found Twin Falls in Pedernales SP last week. It was a fun short hike.
15. The Moss Lake and Echo Canyon trail hikes were fascinating and one a my many times I got lost hikes.
2. and 3. I had it planned for this summer but my schedule is getting crazy.
6. Mountain Top trail has not been in my plans. I will look to get this one in early next year.
11. and 12. Hiking Old Baldy and Crystal Cave Trail are in the plans for summer of 2020 because this might be a family trip.
13. My East Trail hike is planned this week. I will be heading to Lost Maples SNA and another state park in the San Antonio area.
As for #1, I had a chance to do Mount Scott hike today. I have also had two previous chances but did other hikes. I am thinking about a day trip to get it done. I also want to do it as an overnight trip for the stargazing
One of my last two races before a seven week race break. This race was held in Frisco, TX and will be the last race at the Northeast Community park. In the fall the park will be a golf course. I am not a golfer so I think it is a waste of space. The trails are nice and not too technical. The main use of the park is as a mountain bike trail and green space. This is also a race in which I chose the longest distance offered. I usually do a shorter distance but I wanted to test myself to see if I could not come in last.
The race started at 6:45 in the morning so the temperature was not too bad but the humidity was still quite high. We were lucky that most of the time at the race we had mostly cloudy overcast. It was good because there was little tree cover on the course. I started in the back like I always do but immediately moved passed a few people. I found a good pace group and stayed with them for a few miles. It was a group of five and the lead runner was Amber. I did not get the names of the other runners.
About 3 miles later it was just Amber and I. We picked up two more runners but they also dropped off the back. Amber said she was keeping a 13 minute mile pace but was actually going about 11 minute mile pace. We ran together to about the seven mile mark and she said she was going to pick up the pace to the end. I wished her luck and thanked her for pacing. I could not keep up.
At about little over a mile to go the 15K and 10K courses merge. I got into another group of five to get to the finish line. This group ran at a random pace going fast than walking and passing each other every few minutes. I kept a steady pace and then in the last half mile or so just took off. I passed the 10K runners and dropped the entire group and finished quite fast for my speed. I had a very good time for myself at a 1:48:49 15K. I felt good afterwards and finished right before the clouds vanished and the sun was blaring.Back of the pack startAmber setting a fast paceThe aid station where I got droppedMe dropping some people before running solo.
This was suppose to be my last race but I signed up for a 10K just because.