Miscellaneous Hiking Post with a List
In this post there is a 15 before 50 list, I am happy to write I am done with almost half of what I listed. I am surprised that I have done as many as I have done. I focused more on trail running than hiking the last two years but still do some hiking in between races. I am not going to change my list but will recap my progress.
4. I hiked to the summit of Elk Mountain on my father’s birthday.
5. I actually hiked to the summit of Pinnacle Mountain twice and the second time was a great solo hike.
7. I had an amazing hike to Cedar Falls in Petit Jean SP. The waterfall was everything I had hoped to see.
8. Canyon Loop Trail in Caprock Canyon SP was awesome and dangerous due to the quick temperature rise.
9. I am counting hiking the Lighthouse Trail in Palo Duro SP even though it was cut off. I hiked all of it that was open.
14. I found Twin Falls in Pedernales SP last week. It was a fun short hike.
15. The Moss Lake and Echo Canyon trail hikes were fascinating and one a my many times I got lost hikes.
2. and 3. I had it planned for this summer but my schedule is getting crazy.
6. Mountain Top trail has not been in my plans. I will look to get this one in early next year.
11. and 12. Hiking Old Baldy and Crystal Cave Trail are in the plans for summer of 2020 because this might be a family trip.
13. My East Trail hike is planned this week. I will be heading to Lost Maples SNA and another state park in the San Antonio area.
As for #1, I had a chance to do Mount Scott hike today. I have also had two previous chances but did other hikes. I am thinking about a day trip to get it done. I also want to do it as an overnight trip for the stargazing
In 2018, I completed a race at every possible distance from 5K to 50K. I also hiked some of the most scenic places I have ever seen. So what am going to do to top 2018? I dug deep into my imagination and found some crazy places. I am heading back down to the Texas Hill country to hike a park I have never been to yet. I am headed back to Arkansas to hike another mountain but this time from the more difficult side. I have a race in east Texas that took my legs last year. I signed up up for to prove to myself I can beat this course. I will once again will run the Huaco Cuatro Series in Waco, TX but this time I am going to try to get my times much lower. I am doing this all in the first two months of 2019. I want to get back to Oklahoma in March and also a second possible 50K in Kansas. I will get my mini travel camper in April so I can travel in style. My big hikes this year will be to hike to the highest points in Arkansas (I have already done it once), Oklahoma and Texas. My big run this year will be to buckle up with a 100K also in Kansas. I am looking forward to getting out and running and hiking all around America.
This year I hiked 50 new trails in 45 new places. I was doing the 52 Hike Challenge Explorer Series which is to hike 52 new places in 12 months. I did not get to 52 new trails but the 50 new trails were worth the travel. I found some local city parks and many state parks. I ventured into two other states besides Texas. I liked the hikes in Arkansas and Oklahoma and already have plans to return to both states. I also had some first in my trail running. I did my first 1/2 Marathon, 20K, 25K and 50K all on trails. 2018 was an awesome year to be outside.
Mount Magazine 20K
Wild Hare 50K
Mount Nebo, Arkansas
Chickasaw National Recreation Area, Oklahoma
2018 was an incredible year and my plans for 2019 are even more adventurous.