I started this blog as a hiking blog. The first posts were strictly about hiking but the blog has evolved into hiking and trail running. The blog has gone back and forth between both activities. This summer I did much more hiking than usual because I wanted to get out in my camper. I have one more trip planned then my blog will have a change of direction. My blog direction change will come after I finish blogging about my summer hikes and after my first tune up race in August. My blog will primarily be about me training for my first 100K.
I have 14 weeks till my first 100K. I have done a lot of trail running but nothing like this distance. I do not train like most trail runners i.e. find a tried and true program per a coach. I run as much as a can and listen to my body. I do not particularly like long runs so I do races in place of a weekly long run. I have set up a race schedule that will hopefully get to the point where I can finish a 100K. I have a midday 30K in August to start and find a baseline. I have four half marathons also on my race schedule. I will rerun a 25K that physically and mentally broke me down last year. Plus for a bonus run I will do my third 50K.
My 100K race.
Miscellaneous Hiking Post with a List
In this post there is a 15 before 50 list, I am happy to write I am done with almost half of what I listed. I am surprised that I have done as many as I have done. I focused more on trail running than hiking the last two years but still do some hiking in between races. I am not going to change my list but will recap my progress.
4. I hiked to the summit of Elk Mountain on my father’s birthday.
5. I actually hiked to the summit of Pinnacle Mountain twice and the second time was a great solo hike.
7. I had an amazing hike to Cedar Falls in Petit Jean SP. The waterfall was everything I had hoped to see.
8. Canyon Loop Trail in Caprock Canyon SP was awesome and dangerous due to the quick temperature rise.
9. I am counting hiking the Lighthouse Trail in Palo Duro SP even though it was cut off. I hiked all of it that was open.
14. I found Twin Falls in Pedernales SP last week. It was a fun short hike.
15. The Moss Lake and Echo Canyon trail hikes were fascinating and one a my many times I got lost hikes.
2. and 3. I had it planned for this summer but my schedule is getting crazy.
6. Mountain Top trail has not been in my plans. I will look to get this one in early next year.
11. and 12. Hiking Old Baldy and Crystal Cave Trail are in the plans for summer of 2020 because this might be a family trip.
13. My East Trail hike is planned this week. I will be heading to Lost Maples SNA and another state park in the San Antonio area.
As for #1, I had a chance to do Mount Scott hike today. I have also had two previous chances but did other hikes. I am thinking about a day trip to get it done. I also want to do it as an overnight trip for the stargazing